Public FAQ

Q:Is it mandatory for Production Companies to contribute to the Fund?

A: No, companies contribute to the fund on a voluntary basis, it is our hope that every company operating in South Africa would eventually voluntarily contribute to the fund and we would like to ask the public to encourage companies filming in their area to consider contributing to the fund.

Q: How do I know if a company is contributing to the fund?

A: Each contributing company will be issued with a certificate indicating that they are a contributor to the fund, companies are encouraged to provide residents with a copy of this certificate when they do their letter drop to you.

Q: How do we access these funds?

A: If you have a worthy project in your community within the Cape Town area which is a registered Public Benifit Organization and you wish for us to contribute towards it please email us the details.

Q: How much money does a company contribute each time they film in my neighbourhood?

A: The amount charged is based on the size of the shoot, in order to keep the Fund viable companies are charged a realistic fee when a permit is issued by the City of Cape Town.

Micro Shoots – no charge

Small Shoots – R250 per permit per day

Medium Shoots – R500 per permit per day

Large Shoots  – R750 per permit per day

Very Large Shoots – R1000 per permit per day

(size determined on permit issued to production company)

Companies are requested to pay the above amounts as a minimum contribution to the fund, there can be instances when companies decide to contribute more to the fund based on their impact.

Q: What kind of projects will be approved

A: Because the Film Industry Fund NPC is  a PBO (Public Benefit Organization) all funds may only be spent on projects which fall within the PBO guidelines.